Field Engineer II
Avail Technologies is looking for a dynamic and hardworking professional to join our Field Engineering team.
Field Engineer II offers an exciting opportunity through innovation and problem-solving in a diverse range of disciplines including electrical, networking, troubleshooting, and installation. The position requires a strong aptitude and understanding of electronics, networking, technology system, schematics, and interconnectivity of electronic modules. The Field Engineer II determines material requirements for in-vehicle systems, troubleshoots of Avail systems, oversees site installers to ensure process and quality are being adhered to, and acts as an advocate to ensure a high level of customer satisfaction. This position requires extensive travel, primarily throughout Pennsylvania.
Avail’s target market is public transit agencies who offer bus services to the communities they serve. The overall technology solutions provided by Avail include Intelligent Transportation Systems, Fare Collection, Real-Time Passenger Information, APC, Onboard Announcements, Video Surveillance, CAD/AVL, Vehicle Maintenance, Payroll, Work Orders, General Ledger, Finance, and Scheduling. Avail’s in-vehicle systems include, but not limited to, computers, modems, routers, signs, display terminals, harnesses, cables, brackets, and passenger counters.
If you would like to apply for the Field Engineer II position, please access the link below and complete the short assessment:
- Leads onsite surveys to create a Bill of Materials (BOM) and overall, in-vehicle design outlining all the equipment, hardware, and cabling required to satisfy project deliverables
- Provides leadership, direction, coordination, and oversite for all aspects of onsite installation, testing, and modification of systems and sub-systems
- Determine the proper designs of in-vehicle ITS hardware, interconnection of devices, harnesses, and cabling to ensure proper layout, routing, and compatibility of in-vehicles systems with back-end systems. Work with the customer to achieve agreement and signoff of equipment placement
- Work directly with cross functional engineering teams to support on-premise servers, back-end systems, and networking
- Creates and manages project-based installation procedures and processes, acceptance test procedures, and quality reports. Provide clear and accurate documentation to be used by installation team, project team, and customer
- Partner with customers to provide exceptional service while collecting information to influence product development and opportunities based on customer feedback
- Perform periodic quality checks to ensure quality standards are met and signoff of installations are progressing
- Perform lab bench test of vehicle configuration by interconnecting components as proposed for the vehicle to ensure operability before deploying to the field
- Perform troubleshooting and preventative maintenance to achieve issue resolution and a high level of system operability and uptime
- Experience with electronic testing equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, network testers, etc.)
- Performs maintenance training with customer staff to ensure proper use and maintenance of the technology
- Act as point of contact and subject matter expert to troubleshoot and resolve electrical and mechanical issues on installations of Avail’s equipment and provides information and guidance to install team and customer
- Knowledge of J1939, CAN, multiplexing network systems preferred
- Strong electrical and mechanical aptitude
- Ability to use electronic hand tools such as multimeters, soldering irons, crimp tools other associated hand tools
- Ability to read and understand electronic circuit schematics and mechanical drawings
- Experience with computers with advanced skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio)
- Ability to troubleshoot systematic electrical, mechanical, and networking issues
- Superior customer relation skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to works individually or as part of a team
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to oversee and direct others, including the willingness to impose corrective actions as required
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Bachelor’s degree with a specialization in a technical field
- Or, an Associate’s Degree with specialization in a technical field with 4 or more years of experience as a Field Engineer or similar in a field related to responsibilities and skills listed above
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear/listen
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work with computers and keyboard
- Candidates should be able to lift up to 40 pounds
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Travel: Field engineers will be required to travel at least 50% or more of their time.
Avail Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer