Field Engineer I
Field Engineering offers a challenging opportunity for the right individual to excel through innovation and problem-solving in a diverse range of disciplines including; electrical, mechanical, personal time management and the oversight of others. This position requires a strong mechanical aptitude and understanding of electronic circuits to the level of interconnecting electronic modules together and being able to troubleshoot the resulting system to determine where failures are occurring; along the lines of an electronics technician, not an electrical engineer. Avail’s target market is public transit fleets offering fixed route bus services to the communities they serve. This position does require travel throughout the United States with the Field Engineer being the point of contact with their counterpart on the customer side for the duties they are expected to perform. The overall system solution provided by Avail includes many other elements that are also deployed to the customer site and therefore the field engineer could be traveling with other Avail employees or by themselves depending on the tasks to be accomplished at that time.
- Be the responsible individual for determining the proper equipment placement, interconnection of devices and routing of cable assemblies for installing a system of electronic sensors and Mobile Data terminals in public transit buses
- Document your findings using Avail documentation templates to a level that could be used as a “how-to” manual by technicians doing the actual installation of equipment
- Create a Parts List for each bus type in a fleet and a Bill of Materials that will allow purchasing to place an order for all the equipment, cables and piece parts required to outfit a fleet of vehicles
- Assemble a bench test configuration of all the vehicle components by interconnecting them as proposed for the vehicle, but in a lab environment at Avail and test that configuration to ensure its operability before deploying to the field
- Oversee the installation of equipment sets by subcontracted installers during the rollout of the system and be responsible for keeping the subcontractor performing on schedule.
- Answer to the Avail Project Manager on a day-to-day basis about how your element of the overall system is progressing and proactively identifying problems and a proposed resolution before they impact the effort as a whole
- Installation and setup of server racks, dispatcher work stations, WLAN access points, etc.
- Innovative thinking
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Excellent time management
- Ability to oversee and direct others, including the willingness to impose corrective actions as required
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Strong understanding of electronics at a modular level such as the installation of complex vehicle audio systems, security systems, or other types of electronic control systems in other fields such as HVAC, or any field where isolating operational problems to the module level would be required
- Basic assembly skills using such things as soldering irons, crimp tools other associated hand tools
- Ability to read and understand electronic circuit schematics and mechanical drawings
- Familiarity with basic test equipment such as multi-meters, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills using products such as Microsoft Word and Excel with experience in AutoCAD and other such programs a plus
- Associates Degree with specialization in electronics or High School Diploma with 2-3 years of experience assembling circuits boards, cables, hand soldering, and understanding of quality assurance procedures
- Or, 5 or more years of experience as a field service technician or similar in a field related to the responsibilities and skills listed above
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear/listen
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work with computers and keyboard
- Candidates should be able to lift up to 40 pounds
Other Duties: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Travel: Travel will be required
Avail Technologies is an Equal Employment Opportunity company.